Saturday, July 21, 2012

Kitty Cat Watermelon

I guess its about time I get back to the blogging world. I've found myself coming across a lot of stuff I really want to share but not sure who to really share it with. Its taken lots of searching for different little things and getting them just right to make them cheap and easy from cooking to cleaning and crafts with the kids!


Ill start from today and work my way backward unless something new comes about that day and or week that might be more useful or more pertinent to the time of year. Bear with me while I get my fingers back used to typing and figuring out the best way to explain what I did or what step to do! :)


To get the ball rolling  we'll start with today's project for the BBQ, a Watermelon Bowl that became a Kitty Cat Watermelon bowl. My mom picked up a watermelon, cantaloupe, honeydew melon, blueberries and strawberries. I started to cut a light layer off what would have been the "bottom" but went a little too deep so I flipped it over and did a sliver off of the opposite side, just enough so it wouldn't roll. The opposite side that I had cut too deep into I slowly kept taking off more and more until the hole on the top was what I thought was big enough to get a spoon in and small enough that it didn't seem like half of the watermelon was gone. I then used the large side of my double ended watermelon scoop to scoop out all of the watermelon into a bowl. Once all of it that could be scooped out I used the melon scoop to scrape off the rest of the red part and thin out the edges around the opening.... this is where the accident happened. I was flipping over the watermelon to dump out the scrapings and juice into the sink when it slipped from my hand and into the sink, my poor watermelon got a good two inch brake right down one side :/ So instead of crying over split milk (that's only if its breast milk) I made lemons into lemon aid and started to make the crack into a large V. That V looked odd so I took some of the top of the melon I had cut off earlier and they looked sort of like ears. I used some tooth picks to stick them in and used my melon scoops small side to scoop out some eye holes and tooth picks to hold blueberries into the holes and then tooth picks for the whiskers. Once the shell was complete I continued onto cutting open cantaloupe and honeydew melon then scooping out the insides with the large side of melon scoop and putting them into Tupperware bowls. I diced up the strawberries and washed them off along with the blueberries. Once everything was prepped I layered in the fruit back into the bowl, packaged up the rest and took it over to my mums so that she could bring it to the BBQ for us ( one less thing for me to remember to pack up). And now for the picture of the finished product!....




I hope someone else enjoys making one of these as much as I did making it and everyone enjoyed eating it!

No comments:

Post a Comment